Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Windowsill Germination

I bought basil seeds at the local nursery some weeks ago, just to see if my kitchen window sill is under the right conditions for sprouting seeds. The first batch of basil seeds, planted in a peat pot and covered with plastic wrap, never came up. The second round got knocked off the sill by an unnamed assailant. The third batch, in a self watering planter made of two yogurt cups, sprouted a few days ago. I took off the plastic because it seemed like the right thing to do. There are three little sprouts now making their way up to the sunlight.


Inspired by this progress I started tomato and pepper seeds. They are in peat pots, covered in plastic, and sitting in saucers on the sill. I am careful to keep the draft off them at night and have been turning on the kitchen light when it is cloudy out. Hopefully I can coax some seeds to grow so I can avoid the expense of buying plants later this spring.

A Taco Bell container is now housing some lettuce seeds. I am nervous about not being able to tell lettuce from weeds out in the garden, so I'll familiarize myself with the looks of the mesclun mix this way! Later this week, if the ground dries a bit, peas will go into the ground. Maybe some radishes too.



No comments:

Post a Comment