Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Spring Time, Lettuce Sprouts

Spring is here and our yard is showing it. Little violets dot the grass, and the grass itself is vibrant.

The lettuce and mesclun are up in the garden! They literally popped up overnight, and in the middle of a thunderstorm at that. There is also one little chard sprout. No peas, and it leaves me wondering if the birds or squirrels dug them up. Or maybe they needed soaking before planting to get them started.

I am contending with all manner of weeds already, mostly dandelion and onion grass. Perhaps I need to mulch better between the rows.

The electrical pole only four feet from the garden was replaced yesterday. Thankfully the workmen minded my garden plot and left it untouched. They also dug up and left a bunch of concrete slabs which I will use as little stepping stones.

Meanwhile on the windowsill: basil and tomato plants are growing their first sets of true leaves while the peppers started sprouting. Broccoli is up but leggy and I'm nervous the sprouts will tip over before they really get anywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment