Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Out In The Garden

My sister was just in town and so I had her help me out in the garden.

We raked up leaves from the yard and brought them back to the plot. She tilled up some little onions taking up residence in the soil while I raked the plot even and added compost with manure. Then we mixed in the leaves.

I bought about half as much fencing as I thought I'd need and had to improvise by using the chain link fence as two sides of the garden enclosure. We don't have too many critters in our neighborhood but I want to discourage the neighbor's dogs from digging around in the plot. With the fence up we planted chard, peas, leaf lettuce, and mesclun. I dug the furrows according to the package, firmed the soil after laying down the seeds, and gave them a little water.

I've been reading a bit about succession planting and companion planting and have the whole thing laid out so I can put in tomatoes where the peas are now, follow the radishes with peppers, etc. in hopes that we can have threeish crops during the growing season: spring, summer, late summer. Maybe I'll be brave and try lettuce in the fall, too. It would all be a feat considering how small the garden is.

Will go out today to check the condition of the garden and maybe (!) I'll have some pictures to post next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment