Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Free Fence Posts

Today I dug holes and sunk in tree branches as fencing posts. Perhaps they will not last the summer. I just like the way they look. Plus they were free thanks to the ice storm taking down the top of a neighbor's tree. There are now ugly little pea trellises made with the same stuff, too. For the fence I think plastic construction netting will work nicely for preventing the local loose dog from digging (and the cat that winters under our porch from peeing) in my garden.

Now it is a matter of waiting until the ground is good for working. The consensus seems to be to wait to rake until you ball up the soil in your hand and it crumbles a bit when you let go. Otherwise there is too much moisture and dirt clods/soil erosion will result. As soon as the weather is right -- soil temp around 50 degrees, I think -- I'm putting peas in the ground to see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment